River canyons in London on the river Thames are only used for travel and tours. Venice is built in a marine Bay on the Islands and lagoons. There are more than 120 blocks, standing on the water. The unique beauty of historical palaces, buildings, temples, houses, residential quarters, museums attract tourists from all over the world.
The canal systems in the lake Saimaa‑the Vuoksa river (Finland‑Russia), is called the Saimaa channel. The length of the canal is 43 km, depth of 265 m Along the canal’s scenic mountainous terrain. In the navigation of cruise ships sail here. In France, the canals connect the major rivers of the country the Seine, Rhine and Rhone with the waters of the Atlantic and the Mediterranean sea. The total length of the active channels is 3500 km.
In Amsterdam (it is also called “Venice of the North”) about 90 channels and 100 bridges, where to go and cruise ships. The tourists there are here what to see: the floating flower market, diamond factories, and many museums (Rembrandt, Madame Tussauds, modern art).
With the help of artificial canals created the entire lake district‑river system, considerably simplifying the problems of travel and trade routes. Major channels are even large ocean vessels.
In the United States and Canada, there is a huge network of water and river and lake basins that are connected by channels with a total length of 4800 km, It is possible to connect the Great lakes and the Atlantic coast to the Gulf of Mexico in the Pacific ocean. Here even enter ocean-going vessels. In the U.S. a huge role in the domestic cruise tourism plays a river system Mississippi‑Missouri.
The world’s largest canal is a Large canal of China (1600 km), which connects the Yangtze river and the Yellow. It swimming Hiking and walking excursion ships.
1. When and by whom was first organised cruise trip?
2. What are the largest cruise company in the world.
3. Name the most large-scale projects to build the largest liners in the world.
4. Classified as large lot depending on the cost?
5. What is the meaning of journey, where “all inclusive”?
6. What factors have contributed in recent years to cheaper cruises?
7. What are the most popular destinations and routes of travel.
8. Describe the activities of the largest Russian companies – the organizers of cruise trips.
9. Name and show on a map the major rivers in the world.
10. Describe the large lakes and lake systems suitable for the organization of river cruises.
11. What city is called “Venice of the North”?